Wednesday, July 9, 2008

New Interview on ILLROOTS.com!!


CLICK PIC TO READ IT!

Shout out to Illroots.com! They get the award for the ILLEST interview done on me EVER (second to toshi's of course) Check it out, leave a comment there, leave a comment here, and add Illroots.com to your list of daily web stops!

Also, check out the interview they did on my boys J Hen and Dow Jones from the Tha Bizness...





Interview...
Maestro. I’m sure you’ve heard the name. He’s produced for the likes of Ice Cube, David Banner, Big Gipp of Goodie Mobb, Dem Franchize Boyz, Chilli of TLC and many others. Oh yeah, I almost forgot. He’s one of Lil’ Wayne’s favorite producers too. Having produced the smash hits Prostitute Flange and Kush as well as the the opening track off Tha Carter III, 3 Peat, Maestro is taking the hip-hop world by storm, one beat at a time. In the following interview, I talk with Maestro about being a high school teacher, his production process, Tha Carter III and Lil’ Wayne, who he’d like to work with, how he got started and much more.

illRoots: For those that don’t know, who is Maestro?

Maestro: Maestro is the hottest young producer in the game right now. One of the most versatile dudes to ever do it. In short, I’m your favorite producer’s favorite producer.


Lil’ Wayne - 3 Peat (Prod. Maestro)

illRoots: Who would you say is YOUR favorite producer?

Maestro: I don’t really have a favorite producer, there are elements that I admire from a number of successful artists, but no one person right now encompasses all of those elements. I have a lot of respect for the business and all the types of people that it takes to keep moving.

illRoots: Who would you say are some of your influences?

Maestro: I didn’t start producing with the intention of making a career out of it, so my influences were not musicians. Once I dedicated myself to making tracks, aside from my friends and family, Kurupt and David Banner were huge influences. Both took me under their wings and really taught me a lot. Aside from them, Brian Michael Cox, Don Cannon, DJ Drama, Polow [Da Don], and Ludacris were huge inspirations because I knew their stories and our paths brought us all to Atlanta.

illRoots: Tell me about your relationship with David Banner? I know you did some work on his album Certified.

Maestro: I met DB through a songwriter named Sky. I was teaching at the time and was given the opportunity to play keyboards and travel with Banner. He really schooled me on a lot of the inner workings of the production business. Banner is a businessman who controls every aspect of his business and takes full responsibility for the moves he and his company makes; I patterned many aspects of my career after DB.

illRoots: That’s dope. In regards to teaching, you taught High School math and music before taking this production thing head on. That must be a lot different then working with the likes of Lil’ Wayne [Laughs]. How do you think being a teacher has helped your production?

Maestro: Being a teacher gave me discipline. It allowed me to approach this business like a job with a set schedule, rather than just as a hobby. Aside from the production aspect, being a teacher and a person who likes to share knowledge has put me into a lot of great situations with good people who have helped my progression. That teaching mentality allows me to connect and collaborate with a lot of younger artists and producers who are full of fresh ideas.

illRoots: Wow, that’s a great attitude man. You know I have to ask, what was it like working on Tha Carter III?

Maestro: Working on Tha Carter III was good, but working period and knowing that my hard work would pay off was great! Getting to be in the studio with Fabian at Hit Factory and learn things to help me expand my craft was a definite perk. More than anything, working in Miami on C3 showed me how easy it is to grow once you are in a position that is conducive to growth. The first time i was down there i was giving beats directly to Fat Joe and connecting with other dope producers, the next time i was cutting songs with T-Pain and Baby! The opportunity was like no other.

illRoots: Sounds awesome. Since producing, who was the coolest person youve met?

Maestro: I’ve met a lot of cool people in this business, from execs to writers to producers and artists. I still don’t think it gets much cooler than Kurupt though.

illRoots: What was it like meeting him for the first time?

Maestro: He has so much game and so many stories of the golden age of this business; when people were getting real money. The first time we met was the first time we worked and it felt like we had been working for years. Chronic was in the air, the vibe was right, and the songs just kept coming. Everything flowed.


Ice Cube - Gangsta Rap Made Me Do It (Prod. Maestro)

illRoots: Thats ill. What are you currently working on?

Maestro: I’m currently working on replenishing my catalog. So many people called the week C3 dropped, it wiped me out. I’m coming up with all new heat. Aside from that, i’m putting together a Re-Up gang album with The Clipse, cutting more songs for the Franchize Boyz album, about to start working on a Dub C album, and submitting tracks for every other artist I can get at! No artist is too big or too small, there’s enough of this crack to go around.

illRoots: If you could work with anyone on a track, who would it be?

Maestro: A producer or an artist?

illRoots: Either or.

Maestro: I’d like to work with Stevie Wonder, Herbie Hancock, or Quincy on a track; some real talented producers who made the game what it is today.

illRoots: Fresh, all legends.

Maestro: I’d love to build with 50, or Luda, or Quik. Those guys seem like they know exactly what they want in a track.

illRoots: I could see that. What’s your beat-making process like?

Maestro: Ok, on to the good stuff! I don’t have a specific process for making beats. Each type of beat has its own steps to get created, some are melody driven while others are percussion driven, so different equipment gets used each time. I use Logic 8 with a ton of instrument plug-ins, Motif X7, Korg MS2000 for deep fat basses, MPC2500 when i want to dumb out on a track, and live instruments whenever they’re available.

illRoots: Are there any pieces of equipment you swear upon?

Maestro: [Laughs] Ask me that question when I have a worldwide hit single. Until then i’m just trying everything on for size. Logic 8 and Protools HD are the hubs of my setup, not much goes on without at least one, or both, of those platforms up and running. To be honest though, I do swear by my Motif XS and my ES7 before it. The sounds are rich and warm and realistic, and the hammer action on the keys, although not fully weighed, is the best of almost any keyboard i’ve used.


David Banner - Westside (Prod. Maestro)

illRoots: When did you know that producing was the thing for you?

Maestro: I made my first beat when I was in high school. My school had an elective called electronic music that i took every year. It was there that I learned the fundamentals of recording, learned to sample, splice tape, use a four track, and sequence. I was skipping lunch to go to the studio at school and make tracks; I’d learn the piano parts from popular records and try to remake them on the Roland xp10 and the Korg M1 seqencing in Music Shop on an old Mac. Those were the days.

illRoots: Sounds like it should be another Spike Lee joint.

Maestro: Yeah man [Laughs]. I truly didn’t know producing was for me at that time, but the girls liked it, and i could do it without breaking a sweat.

illRoots: That’s dope, it certainly seems to be paying off. What’s your favorite part of being a producer?

Maestro: Its a toss up between the technology and the money. I get a bigger sense of fulfillment talking to people who are up and coming then I do getting recognized for a dope track I make. But that feeling is nothing compared to how I felt as an actual teacher. This business is great, but its corrupt in a lot of its aspects, so all thats left to keep me motivated are the checks and the equipment.

illRoots: Understandable. What’s the best piece of advice you’ve received about the industry?

Maestro: That’s an interesting question because the people who have the information that can really help a young dude out hold tight to it like giving it away will loosen their hold on their spot. In the end, B Cox and Polow gave me the best advice. B Cox said to not get too attached to your accomplishments. Look at every situation as a new opportunity and don’t get stagnant by focusing on the last thing you did. Polow said to make your next move your best move. When I think of those pieces of advice together I’m motivated to get my ass up and keep grinding!

illRoots: What advice would you give to someone that wants to become a producer?

Maestro: The best advice that I could give is to make your equipment pay for itself. Once you’ve bought a piece of gear, learn it and master it to the point where it’s making you money. Force yourself to not invest another dollar back into equipment until you’ve seen some proceeds. Ive been able to remain optimistic in this business and work at a comfortable pace because i’ve never been upside down on my investment. Ill buy any piece of equipment that i see and want because i’m sure it’ll pay for itself with one track! If you are just starting out and reading this and you have Fruity Loops and need a mic that cost 200 bucks, then you better sell a beat for 200 bucks! Don’t take your parents money or your job money to buy a mic, save that money to buy a ticket to fly in a songwriter who can rock that mic once you own it.

illRoots: That’s some real talk right there.

Maestro: Yeah, I don’t just talk it, i live it! Cakewalk bought me a digi001, the digi001 bought me a 002, the 002 bought me HD, HD bought me a house [Laughs].

illRoots: [Laughs]. Where do you hope to see yourself this time next year?

Maestro: I see myself moving closer to different streams of income besides placing tracks on artists. Also, getting heavier into signing acts and venturing off into other markets. I have my eye on some acts in Jamaica and Toronto specifically who need to get their beats from Maestro.

illRoots: That’s what’s up. To wrap things up, describe yourself in one word.

Maestro: Blessed.

illRoots: No doubt, thanks so much man. If you ever need anything let us know. You have any shoutouts?

Maestro: Shout out to my team, Chico, JP, SnL, Ace, Toshi. My producer homies who keep me on my toes, J Hen from Tha Bizness, J Wells, Needlz, Denny Lavish, and everyone else who loves what I do and encourages me to keep doing it.

illRoots: Thanks again man, looking forward to see what you have up your sleeves.

Maestro: Thanks a lot man, I appreciate the opportunity.

New Interview on ILLROOTS.com!!

12 comments:

  1. good read!
    congrats ;-)
    copy paste is my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. this was a great interview. i liked the questions he asked. congrats.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great Interview!!!! The best I've ever read. I would love to read more on that Denny Lavish guy you mentioned.

    ReplyDelete
  4. spel woman '01Sunday, July 13, 2008

    you give really good answers, well written!

    ReplyDelete
  5. this comment is for the sole purpose of search engine indexing...
    maestro
    Vaushaun 'Maestro' Brooks
    maestro blog
    mistro blog
    mystro blog
    meastro blog
    maestro blog kits
    maestro blog kit
    maestro samples
    maestro sample kit
    maestro remix
    maestro closer neyo
    maestro 3peat
    lil wayne
    ice cube
    raw footage
    gangsta rap made me do it
    maestro producer
    vaushaun 'maestro' brooks producer
    maestro david banner
    tha bizness
    50 cent
    t.o.s.
    piano man
    maestro platinum
    maestro hiphopdx maestro interview

    ReplyDelete
  6. I heard a couple of the beats he did before reading this interview and I like the way he is humbled by his success and his train of thought of being productive everytime he gets the chance.

    Nothing will work unless You Do.. Maya Angelo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Maestro Fresh Wes was the SHIT back in the day: http://youtube.com/watch?v=Pzull7scV2Y.
    Great interview and I think Maestro, the producer, has earned his name.

    ReplyDelete
  8. i also thought it was the canadian rapper.

    But seriously dudes got game on lock at the moment.
    nice feature

    ReplyDelete
  9. “hold tight to it like giving it away will loosen their hold on their spot” true story.

    “I get a bigger sense of fulfillment talking to people who are up and coming then I do getting recognized for a dope track I make.”

    good read, and how wayne ties in his bar to fit in with maestro, crazy :-)

    love

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hot feature.
    For sure maestro’s erywhere at the mo.

    ReplyDelete